Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Steak, Part I

Why Part I? Well, because after tonight, there will be more postings about steak. Argentina is all about beef. Somewhere I read a statistic that Argentina beef consumption is something like 10 times that of the USA. When one of my work colleagues found out I was taking my vacation in Argentina, his response was "Do you like meat?"

I have just eaten the most amazing-tasting steak ever. I think I could eat this steak every night for the rest of my life. I would if I were Argentinian. The restaurant is located in my favorite BA neighborhood, San Telmo. It is called El Des Nivel and it is a traditional steak house, popular with tourists (they don't take credit cards, I found out). But don't let that scare you because, tourist or not, you are going to have the steak of your life. You have to order vegetables separately, but, depending on what you order, your meat may come with potatoes. I went for the straight-up tenderloin, the most expensive thing on the menu but still a bargain at $10 USD. The 1/4 litre wine and roasted red peppers and tip added another, $5+USD.

There ain't nothing like cows fattened on rich grass in the Pampas. Lean and sublime tasting. It almost cut like butta. We eat grass-fed beef at home, but it doesn't taste this good.

Next time I go, I will take a picture for you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

my mouth is watering...and i love that you already have a favorite neighborhood.

sarajane said...

JD, you too will have a new favorite neighborhood! Be sure and tell me about it.