Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shopping

Notice that I didn't title this Shopping, Part I. That's because there is not going to be a lot of shopping on this trip. It is bad enough that half of this holiday is unpaid and that I have to pay to sleep, travel and eat for seven weeks down here, without me spending on stuff, especially stuff for me. However, as always happens, while shopping for others, I found something for me. But first, a word about prices down here.

The rumor is that Buenos Aires is a bargain. I am sorry to tell you that this is no longer true. BA used to be the most expensive city in South America until the economic crash of 2001. The peso was badly devalued and the city became a bargain for tourists. However, annual inflation of approximately 8% a year (I have seen some figures higher, some lower)has increased prices quite a bit since the crash. So, despite the dollar now being the strongest it has been in five years, annual inflation means BA is no longer a bargain. Nevertheless, I would say that prices are generally lower than they are in major cities in the States. Restaurant meals here are pretty inexpensive, though you can manage to spend a lot here, as anywhere. For example, breakfast of a couple of rolls and coffee sets me back between $2 and $4US. Lunch costs about me $4-$6US and dinner from $10 on up, more with wine. Leather goods are especially well priced here (Christmas presents, anyone?). My studio apartment (w/weekly maid service) in a middle class neighborhood next to shopping and the subway is $685 a month. A transit ride is about $.30.

So, back to shopping. I have been dazzled by the beauty of tango shoes and have been looking around at various tango-shoe stores - there are many here, each making exquisite handmade shoes. No, I don't tango, but I liked the idea of beautiful and comfortable heels for dress up. On my way to a tango-shoe store, I stopped at an upper end shopping mall, the Galerias Pacifica. There, while window shopping for gifts, I went into Rossi Y Caruso, a high-quality leather store, and fell in love with a very elegant (and comfortable) pair of handmade brown lizard heels. While not cheap ($225), they are quite a bit cheaper than I would pay in the States, so....hello brown lizard heels!

They also make beautiful riding boots and I could use a new pair....

3 comments:

Irene said...

You really got my attention with the photo of the beautiful shoes. I've been reading your stories and have enjoyed each one. What does BA sound and smell like? How has the weather been?

Fun to hear about Mark's grandfather's music, a great legacy......

Miss you......

sarajane said...

Nice to hear from you Irene! Funny, I have actually been thinking about blogging about the two smells that have been most potent here in the last week - some sort of blooming tree (jacaranda?) and marijuana, which wafts up from the balcony below.

You would loooooovvvveeee the shoes and bags down here.

Gretchen said...

Sara, I am sure you would not want to be home from BA WITHOUT a fabulous pair of shoes! You would kick yourself senseless....me I was delighted to be at the Sunday San Ginesio market by myself for a few moments so I could score a long sleeved wool knit (grandma style) undershirt. I goes well below my hips and I am more confident about staying warm here. Even thoug it has been sunny almost every afternoon, in the mornings and evenings it is COLD! Tomorrow I have been promised we will be connected at the house, then I will write more, XO G