Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ice Cream

Those who know me well know that I love ice cream. The guidebooks say that BA has some of the finest ice cream in the world, due to all the Italian immigration that has occurred here. Many of you will not believe this, but I didn't have any ice cream until my SECOND day here. I haven't really been craving sweets lately. Before I left home, I cut sugar out of my life in an effort to lose 5 lbs. I lost that weight (keeping it off is another matter) and in the process my craving for sweets.

However, yesterday, at about 6 pm, after walking all around the parks in Palermo, I was feeling a bit peckish. As luck would have it, there is a heladeria (ice creamery) half a block from my flat. It is not a chain, but rather a single shop that produces helados artesanales. I don't speak Spanish yet, but some things are clear in any language, like chocolate with almonds and dulce le leche (OK, that IS Spanish). My Mt. Everest of a cone cost seven pesos, roughly $2.50US. It was fabulous. Better than anything in the states, but not as good as I remember in Italy.

Unfortunately, there is just no way to avoid this heladeria, as it is on my way to and from the subway and the main shopping street, Avenida Santa Fe.

1 comment:

mrsfire said...

My friend is from Argentina and she suggests Freddo Chungo ice-cream. She says it's excellent!