Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am in Uruguay

My consolation for not going to Brazil on this trip (onerous and expensive visa requirements) was to go to Uruguay. My Polish friend Justyna went to Punta del Este and loved it. So, here I am, in Punta del Este for three days. Basically, Punta is a glitzy beach town on the Atlantic Ocean overrun with Argentinians during the summer. There isn´t much to do but walk, sit or snooze on the beach. Hence, there are three bookstores here. I love to sunbathe on the beach, but Marc can´t stand it. So, I waited until Marc left for home before coming here.

Punta is a pretty town, with high rise condos and little beachy bungalows with red tiled roofs. There is a unique smell in the air, but not a strong sea smell. Since it is still spring the crowds haven´t arrived yet, so its quiet. The weather is sunny and warm but breezy. Uruguyans are tremendously friendly and laid back. Drivers stop to let peds cross the street, which never happens in BA. The sun is strong here, however, and with my skin, I can´t stay out for too long. Managed to burn my knees because I forgot to slather them with lotion. Today I took a bus to a village about 10 km from here, called La Barra, where I sat on the beach and watched surfers. Hard to believe that I will be back at work next week. I am trying not to think about it.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Hi Sara: thinking about you, and your pending return home. Very interesting thoughts about the planning/lack of it and the political system in BA, which is probably true for most Latin American countries I imagine. Curious about Uruguay...sounds nice, and very out of the way! I'm hanging in here...getting more acclimated, NOW it's getting colder, possibly a sprinkling of snow this weekend. I'll be thinking of YOU and everyone else next Thursday, turkey day, just another day here in San Ginesio!