Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Back home - last post!

Flew home Sunday. Left my glasses on the airplane. Glad to be in a place where I don't have to hoard coins or watch for broken pavement. Back to my old life, my "real" life. So far, the jet lag hasn't been too bad, and neither has work, as this is a slow week and I am mostly just getting caught up (only 1200 emails). Plus, I am still benefiting from the holiday "afterglow." Nothing bothers me these days.

Since my vacation is over, this is my last post. I guess this is where I am supposed to profoundly talk about how the sabbatical changed my life. Well, it didn't. But it was everything I expected and needed. I slowed down and enjoyed life. It's amazing how much you can see, smell and hear when you are not preoccupied with the daily grind. I experienced living in a big, dynamic city, in a different culture, which required patience, perseverance and an open mind, and gave me some perspective about living in Portland and the US. Along the way I made some new friends too. When I came back, I was certainly more positive and patient about everything, especially work. Needless to say, I was thrilled to be home with Marc and Pia, our 14+ year old dog. I also realized how lucky I am, to have not only an employer who offers leaves of absence, but a job to come back to.

I am still unpacking. There is a huge stack of unread New Yorkers next to my bed. I forgot my parent's anniversary (sorry Mom and Dad, I will call you!). And, ITS WINTER HERE. But, it will all be all right, no?

Thanks for joining me on this holiday - doing the blog has been a blast.

As they say in Argentina,

Un beso grande

Sarajane

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Sara: I don't think you should just STOP blogging, just maybe take a break....then keep doing it! You are obviously a very good writer, I like to read your observations. I'll MISS you!! XO G